Google
 

Monday, November 26, 2007

Alera Has Bitten Himself Very Badly.



Woke up this morning and I was shocked! The whole bed was full of blood and at first I thought it was the urine. But when I looked closer, the whole chunk of muscles and tissues on Alera's hind leg were gone! Without delay, I went to the vet right away. I just do not understand, he has everything, I mean he has his time to come out and play and all the attentions he needs, just wonder why he always like to bite himself.

The doc has examined the wound and found out it is very difficult to stitch up as the wound was severely damage and there were holes on the skin as well. He told me that he was going to perform a 'secondary treatment' for Alera from now which is cleaning and dressing up everyday until new skin and tissues develop properly so that he can stitch up later in time. We are looking at about 3 to 4 weeks time. Alera has also lost lots of blood and he has a larger cone now around his neck.



18:00 27November2007

8 comments:

Par said...

omg... that looks painful...
I hope Alera recover soon!
Maybe Alera have allergy?

CJ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Phil Grimsey said...

What an utterly terrible sight to wake up to. Thomas, We are utterly devastated for you here. Just as it seemed Alera was "on the mend", this happens.

Was the area that he chewed an area that had been shaven by the vet?

If so, it might well have been itchy and that is what caused him to do it?

He is obviously happy in your company Thomas, you only have to watch you two together to see the bond. Like Caroline says, its psychological issues, or a discomfort of some form that would likely trigger it.

He has, as you have said, everything he could want or need with you, please be reassured that its nothing you have done. It could be something so simple as he is unable to use his back legs to scratch and has got used to biting to relieve any itching and over does it somewhat, even on areas that wouldnt normally be scratched with his back legs.

Phil Grimsey said...

Also, with it being on Alera's back legs, might the sensation in them not be as strong as normal, which lead to him biting harder and harder but not realising what damage he is doing?

Anonymous said...

Dear Thomas,
It is painful to watch but I do hope Alera will get well and recover very soon.
Please do not blame yourself also. Alera is being taken care of by you with all the love and care.
My prayers for Alera.

Anonymous said...

Oh no!!!!
MY best wishes for Alera's recovery and for your heart and soul.
Hanna

Zhuria said...

I'm so sorry to see this. I opened the page and was shocked.

I'm not an expert, but if I had to guess I would agree with Phil; that it's a combination of being itchy from the shaving, the stress, AND the fact that he probably has less feeling back there. Even when he bit his stomach it wasn't that bad, because he could feel it. That's what I think, anyway.

I just want to wish you luck, and tell you that I'm thinking of you and Alera. I wish he would stop "shooting himself in the foot", as they say :(

Joan3424 said...

Oh I hate to see this, poor Alera! Where would he be without your love and attention? You are a wonderful man, Thomas, and Alera is going to make it because of you!
Joanie

A Life Connected